Title: Community Band Director Band: Director
Location: East Valley (Tempe, Phoenix AZ) Start Date: August, 2020
The Ahwatukee Foothills Concert Band is a non-profit, adult, community-based concert band. We are dedicated to providing our members an opportunity for life-long musical expression, promoting music in the lives of young people and providing cultural enrichment in our community.
Job Description: We are presently searching for our next conductor. We seek an energetic conductor who understands the nature of an adult community band, is able to interact with a variety of audiences, is comfortable conducting a variety of music genres, and will program appropriate concerts. The band’s performance literature includes show tunes, movie scores, pop music, marches, big band, symphonic pieces, and more.
Conductor will be compensated per rehearsal and performance. The band rehearses weekly from August through May and performs 8-12 concerts per year (i.e. retirement communities, patriotic performances, and holiday events).
- Be familiar, comfortable and experienced with adult musical groups.
- Have a strong familiarity with concert band literature both modern and traditional. Learn what music genres the band and our audiences enjoy.
- Be able and willing to provide teachable moments that will help the band become a better musical group.
- Treat all members with deference and respect, regardless of their experience and music performance level.
- Be aware of the different members' needs and abilities when selecting music and be able to suggest or provide alternate parts as appropriate.
- Create a strong rapport with our audiences.
- Listen to comments, suggestions and criticisms from members while maintaining discipline and structure to meet our group goals and objectives.
- Be able and willing to address issues such as playing style, section balance, intonation and seating.
- Understand that members join for various reasons, some to make serious music, others maybe more for the social aspect of being part of a group. Whatever their reason, everyone's participation is valued.
- Be an active part of the fun!
Interested candidates: please email your resume and/or qualifications to email@example.com.